2016/06/28

Blue Coat Like Bill Cunningham

negative coat form on the sky

Sad news arrived. Early pioneer of street style photography, Bill Cunningham has died in 87 years of age. He had his own street style column in New York Times for 40 years. Bill Cunningham recognized the value of what people wore in their everyday life.

Bicycling with his camera in New York his outfit became his trademark: blue French worker’s jacket, khakis and sneakers. Simple and practical uniform that let him focus on the essential, style on the streets.

My billcunningham-coat

Few years ago I bought a blue blazer. Lightweight denim kind of fabric and straight simple cut. Every time I have used it I have thought of Bill Cunningham. This blue coat I have called my billcunningham-coat.

To me the blue coat of Bill Cunningham is a symbol of joy. Joy of marvellous people, joy of finding perfect forms of style on everyday people. No matter if they were celebrities or not. Style is the only thing that matters.

Under Helsinki Blue Sky

In this case his story and attitude has resonated to my feelings and views when walking under Helsinki City sky. On this far north side of Europe I keep spotting interesting styles that makes me smile eyes beamed. And later draw what I see.

Blue Sky – Sky Blue

Staring the blue sky is an act of joy. Stunning blue. Let me show you. I took this photo last October with phone. To be able to stare the blue sky whenever I need.

* * *

The good thing with Bill Cunningham, that we can be happy about, is that he lived a long apparently happy life with the ability to follow his passion to the last moment. That is not self for sure thing. 
To the good end I share two links to nice articles about Bill Cunningham.

No comments: